Tuesday, April 8, 2008

farewell.. for now. :)

what's good in goodbye?

the first time i was asked this question was when i received it via text from my buddy kenneth, and then later on i found out that it was a question that everyone in their corridor was asked to write about. if i were to answer this, out of bitterness i would blurt out:

"wala. meron ba? "

but after giving it some thought (and reading kuya rbee's letter to the third floor boys out of curiosity), i realized that in reality, underneath the loneliness and tears brought by goodbyes, there hide pleasant things that later on, we may be thankful of.

personally, i don't like goodbyes, particularly because i'm sort of a cry baby and even the slightest senti moments make me cry. i remember confessing to my floormates during our year-ender that when i entered kalai, i vowed to myself that i would only sleep there - no mingling with people, no bonding with floormates, no going out to meet my dormmates. i was able to keep up with that life during the first sem, but the second sem got different. and it was a whole lot better. it started with room-hopping, joining the choir, participating in the cheerdance competition, and the next thing i know, my network expanded. i know that i wasn't even close to knowing one-fourth of my batchmates in kalai by the end of my stay, but honestly, i'm glad i opened my door and went out.

and now that it's goodbye, you can bet that i cried a lot more than most of my floormates did. but compared to the previous "farewell episodes" that i've encountered, i cried less. because now i realized that goodbyes may be temporary or permanent, and it will solely depend on me which one it will be. i used to treat goodbyes as a point where there would be nothing more between you and the person you're parting ways with; at present, i'm starting to treat it as something temporary, something that may be turned into a "hello" again in time.

and now, i'm somehow changing my answer from "wala. meron ba?" to this:

goodbyes give you the chance to meet more people, and to prove to the people you said goodbye to that no matter how many more people you meet, you are willing to and you will be able to keep the memory of the friendships and the relationships that you made with those people alive.

okay, that was a looong sentence. i suggest you read it again and hopefully get it the second time around. anyway, what i said there is what i intend to do - keep the memories alive. :)


to the headturners (UP TSRS), my GA-mates, my friends, my dormmates, the RA's, the mess hall people, the staff, the guards... super thank you for everything. and i hope i'd still see most of you around. *big hug*

God bless. i missed you, i missed kalai. and i'll be back next week. wee!

No comments: